CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

*Use 'Black' words...*

Facetious.
(adj)\fə-ˈ-shəs\
1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : waggish
2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious

*** This evening, while speaking with one of my good 'net' homies, I used this word just in casual conversation. The next typed entry was " Could you please use a "BLACK" word?"

Huh?! WTF!?!

I asked WHAT a 'Black' word was and why was it necessary to degrade our race by implying that all things 'intelligent' were NON-BLACK? For whatever reason that angered me a bit because I'm OFTEN told that I don't speak the way "BLACK PEOPLE" should (or are expected). I use large words in speaking ( not here because I just don't... lol), and think NOTHING of it only expecting that the people I speak w/ will understand. It's nothing for me to throw 'unequivocally' or 'surreptitiously' into casual convo... that's just the way that I speak!!! Not BLACK, not WHITE, not ASIAN... Just Jae.

PEOPLE!!! We REALLY have to start associating ourselves and our race (whatever race you may be) w/ positivity!!! Don't play INTO the stereotypes!! SURPRISE people. Speak in the way that you'd like to be perceived!! You can have DIFFERENT manners of speaking w/ different PEOPLE but don't allow yourself to be PIGEONHOLED into what others EXPECT from your (race).


Ugh. I adore my homie-- but that got all up underneath my skin.

**facetious isn't even a big word! lol**

7 comments:

Young woman on a journey said...

i love the word facetious...though my spelling is horrible. anyway, i agree with you. people associate too many bad things with us and not enough good things. thankfully i don't hear that "you sound white" thing too much anymore

Marie said...

It def isn't a big word .. wow ..

Uhrm I hear that a lot when I talk . Sometimes I even hear that i talk with a "White" accent ... lol

It's sad as hell .. oh well ..

AssertiveWit said...

my dad would ALWAYS use this word when we were little kids and then when we started using it people looked at us like we were from Mars...it's a shame when people's vocabularies don't expand any further than curse words and the normal language a monkey could understand...fuck em LOL

Monie said...

LOL @ Assertive Wit

I just used the word facetious this week and the person I was speaking to was like, "Huh?"

SMH...fiery ass mess...

Ceecee said...

Amen-we need to have more positive things assoc with our race...it saddens me when stuff like this happens and I just cringe because somewhere nearby I'm sure theres someone of another race snickering because of it...I know several people that are walking stereotypes and dont seem to care- I guess if thats all you know then you'll continue to use 'black words' as they say and wonder why people are looking at you funny... and lol @ Assertive Wit. This makes me think of a blog post...I have a question for you...

Felicia|DaLipstickBandit said...

dumb ass...is that black enough?

clnmike said...

Lol, I got to admit it' not a word I hear often, but I know were your coming from.